UW Madison Division of Extension Dodge County is launching a new effort to support Dodge County residents especially during these uncertain times. We are calling it “FROM THE DESK OF EXTENSION-(article topic)”. This will be a weekly article covering topics from our programmatic areas of agriculture, families, youth, and food/nutrition. The articles will address current issues facing residents through the lens of those program areas. Thank you for supporting our mission to bring relevant research based information and education to the residents of Dodge County.
Caitlin Richardson | Extension Dodge County | FoodWIse Program
Sometimes finding the time to prepare healthy snacks for our kids may seem like a daunting task especially during the rush of weekday mornings. Having things on hand ready to go can help tremendously. Let your kids have a special spot in the cupboard, refrigerator pantry or on the counter for their snacks and let them choose which snack they want each day. This saves YOU time and will encourage kids to eat their food. When kids have a say in food choices and feel ownership it increases the likelihood of food being eaten, regardless of what the food is. Below are some easy grab and go snack ideas that are tasty and healthy that you can have on hand.
- Whole fruit (apples, bananas, oranges)
- Pre-bagged berries or grapes (wash and bag them on the weekend)
- Sliced veggies in a snack bag
- Granola bars
- Pre-popped popcorn in snack bags
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pre-packed trail mix—make a big batch and portion it out to last all week
- Yogurt cups
- Individually wrapped string cheese sticks
- Single serving boxes of raisins
Included below is a recipe from USDA’s Choose MyPlate on getting started making your own trail mix!
Trail Treat (makes 4 servings)
Throw together this quick treat full of dried fruit, nuts, and delicious grains. Enjoy it as a snack on your next walk through the park or hike.
|Choose Two of These:||Choose Two of These|
|pretzels (1 cup)||1/4 cup raisins|
|1 square corn, rice or wheat cereal (1 cup)||dried cranberries (1/4 cup)|
|1 cup round oat cereal||dried banana chips (1/4 cup)|
|1 cup popcorn||dried pineapple (1/4 cup)|
|goldfish crackers (1 cup||soy nuts (1/4 cup)|
- Wash hands; get out utensils.
2. Choose the ingredients you want to use.
3. Measure the suggested amounts of chosen ingredients and add to the mixing bowl.
4. Mix ingredients using a stirring spoon and divide evenly into 4 storage bags.
- Enjoy your Trail Treat.